Monday, January 26, 2009

A Path to Christ Begins With a Few Steps.

I went to church this morning, actually set my alarm to make it in time. I haven't gone in a while, and was excited to be there. Hubsy stayed home, and to my shock it didn't even effect me.

See, in my home growing up we didn't go to church, but GOD was a HUGE presence in our lives. And by huge, I mean that my mom was a born again Christian, could speak in tongues, and at a very young age took us to bible study with her. We were taught about the relationship we could have with Jesus, a loving, strong, and faithful bond, and even though my mom stopped speaking in tongues and going to bible classes as we got older my faith still stayed with me because the foundation was so strong.

Hubsy on the other hand, grew up being made to go to church every Sunday and was taught a religion, not a relationship. I am not saying this is wrong, but it doesn't mesh well when put together with mine.

So here is how a typical Sunday would go. I would get up, wake hubsy 3 or 4 times reminding him about church. We would go, sit down and I would feel the spirit fill me and then I would look over at him. Sitting there with his arms crossed tightly, not singing or acting involved, he totally smooshed my "Christ buzz". I would begin to worry why he wasn't feeling what I was feeling, would he also be like this. Would the man I chose to spend my life with decide he didn't want Christ to be a part in our lives? So, I simple stopped going to church and stopped asking him to go with me.

Then last week I had a great conversation with an old friend. She has recently been going to church where she lives, getting involved, and worshipping and she gave me some advice. She said, "You have to do it for yourself, even if you go alone. Make this about you and GOD, not your husband. You will change, and your husband will eventually follow." She talked about how it took a year of her faithfully going with the kids, but her husband has followed and began to worship and reflect on his own now. It was then that everything clicked in my mind, and I decided to try again.

Everything was working against me this morning, I woke up and got ready to leave only to see that the first morning service started 15 minutes before I had gotten out the door. I decided to go to the second service. Then, I started to not feel well (being pregnant can do that to you) I was tired, and began to rationalize laying back down. I told myself this was about me though, and I needed to go.

Once there I found a seat with not too many people around and made myself comfortable. I sang along and greeted those around me, slowyly feeling myself get back into the groove, when all the sudden a group of 5 or 6 moved into my row, and sat right in the seat next to me. Great, now I am sitting by strangers and I cannot be myself and let go. Phooey.

I did my best to listen, and actually began taking notes. At the close of service we were singing and inviting people to come forward. My feet began walking before I had time to think and there I was, in the front row singing and crying. The pastor came over and I let it all come out. I told him of how I was in and out of religion, making committments and then falling to the wayside. How this time I want to make it work, want to devote my life to GOD, to make it a priority, and be accountable for my Christianity. After the singing was over, the pastor announced all of us at the front, some prayer requests, and some like me wanting to belong. I went back to my chair and the man, the stranger who sat so close to me, smiled and shook my hand. "I've been there before, stay strong and pray. GOD will be here"

Once service was over I was approached by many women, inviting me to MOPS, and Sunday bible study. One woman I met even lived across from me when I was two years old and knew my mother. It is a strange web Jesus plans for our lives. I strange and interesting web.

Tonight I started reading my new bible (gift to myself for the committment) and found a passage that was highlighted in today's message on meaningful relationships. I liked it alot and decided to post it here, thus starting "Scripture Sundays". Please feel free to read it and post any thoughts or comments on your mind.


Romans 12:9-21 (New King James Version)

Behave Like a Christian

9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.
10 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
11 not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
12 rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;
13 distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
16 Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.
17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.
19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,”[a] says the Lord.
20 Therefore

“ If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”[b]


21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

0 comments:

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio